Shop - Comparison
Launch
Shop - Comparison
Shop - Wish List
Launch
Shop - Wish List

file How to create a small clean "star" object for a patch

Huertaaj Posted 1 month 2 weeks ago
I'm new to this group, somewhat new to embroidery with my Brother PE770, and using the Hatch 2 30-day trial software. I digitized a 100 mm wide patch for a friend based on the original patch image found on the internet. The patch contains part of an American flag with stars that are each about 4.5 to 5 mm wide. When it stitches out the stars end up looking rather mushy. They look relatively good on the screen but not so good after embroidering them. I really want them to look better.

I am attaching an image of the patch that I digitized showing the stars.

Can anyone suggest to me how you would go about creating the cleanest looking 5 mm-wide star with clear borders? Being newish to embroidery I don't know what type of fill or stitch density is best to make a nice clean small star.
Thanks
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kim's Avatar Offline
  • Kim
  • Hatch Team
  • Hatch Team
    • Thank you received: 41
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Kim Posted 1 month 2 weeks ago
Hello,
There are a few ways you can create a start. One is how you have done.

The first one is useing satin stitches where they all come together in the center.
The second one is just digitizing the outline of the start and using a tatami fill

On the first one I used the Circle Layout tool. Here is a couple of pictures to help.

First, I just digitized the one point of the start. Changed it to satin stitch and set the stitch angle going across the point as shown.

I then used the circle layout tool as shown. There is more information on using this tool in the online documentation and also if you have the Gold Pass in Academy there are lessons on this there.

Tip: it may ask if you want to join the pieces. Click No so they each have their own stitch angle.

Hope this helps.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: LochAnLoch

Huertaaj Posted 1 month 2 weeks ago
Kim: I looked into your example. However, I need to create a very small star as stated in my question above. It needs to be at most 5 mm wide. Your method shows a huge star with lots of satin stitches across each part. My star has to have very few and I just can't get it to look good and crisp. I have tried several different digitizing styles but no good success yet. Any suggestions on using your suggested technique, or a different technique, for a very tiny star?

By the way, I went ahead and purchased Hatch 2 yesterday and already have a couple of other issues with it that I can't seem to resolve on my own so I will be asking more questions.

• Kim's Avatar Offline
  • Kim
  • Hatch Team
  • Hatch Team
    • Thank you received: 41
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Kim Posted 1 month 2 weeks ago
Hi,
At 5mm you are not going to get much detail. Don't be making your decision when you are zoomed in. Most of the time a professional digitizer that is doing a logo with a small star...........
try to make it at least 6-7mm
they will keep it as one stitch angle either using a tatami or satin if you want it to look raised.
underlay not necessary

It will probably look "ok" at 1:1 but if you zoom in, it will not be realistic. I do zoom in to digitize but I also use 1:1 view back and forth looking at the "reality".

Here is the above stitched at 5mm with satin:
at 1:1

Here is a zoomed view of the stitch angle, start and end points.

I'd suggest you do a test sew where you make a tatami background since that is what your patch has.........then place several stars on it and stitch out. You'll be able to see which one looks best with the colors and size. I'd also try to move up to 6-7mm for the size if possible.

If you are having technical problems or problems setting up your software, create a support ticket and we can help you there.
Attachments:

menu
arrow_forward
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back